Scarborough’s Stephen Joseph Theatre has received a grant of £84,893 from the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund to help it recover and reopen.
More than £300m has been awarded to over 2,700 cultural organisations across the country in the latest round of support from the Culture Recovery Fund, the Culture Secretary announced on Friday.
The Stephen Joseph Theatre will use its allocation to support a production in the summer season, which is due to be announced shortly; towards the filming of its productions;and to aid its re-opening from mid-May onwards.
Last year, nearly 89,000 people attended an event at the SJT; it’s estimated that the theatre contributes over £4.5m to the local economy.
Over £800m in grants and loans has already been awarded to support almost 3,800 cinemas, performance venues, museums, heritage sites and other cultural organisationsdealing with the immediate challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.
The second round of awards made today will help organisations to look ahead to the spring and summer and plan for reopening and recovery. After months of closures andcancellations to contain the virus and save lives, this funding will be a much-needed helping hand for organisations transitioning back to normal in the months ahead.
Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said: “Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they've ever faced.
“Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors – helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the bettertimes ahead."
Caroline Routh, Executive Director at the Stephen Joseph Theatre, said:
“We are enormously grateful to the Government for their support. We’re aiming to have the SJT back up and running in time for what promises to be a busy summer for Scarborough – we want to be there for both visitors to the town and forlocals, who have been our constant supporters through this difficult past year.”
Sir Nicholas Serota, Chair, Arts Council England, said: “Investing in a thriving cultural sector at the heart of communities is a vital part of helping the whole country to recover from the pandemic. These grants will help to re-open theatres, concert halls andmuseums and will give artists and companies the opportunity to begin making new work.
“We are grateful to the Government for this support and for recognising the paramount importance of culture to oursense of belonging and identity as individuals and as a society.”
The funding awarded today is from a £400m pot which was held back last year to ensure the Culture Recovery Fund could continue to help organisations in need as the publichealth picture changed. The funding has been awarded by Arts Council England, as well as Historic England and National Lottery Heritage Fund and the British Film Institute.


Scarborough's Alpamare Waterpark Could Have New Owner by Autumn
Mixed Reactions To Sir Robert Goodwill's Appointment As Yorkshire Bathing Water Partnership Chair
Smiley and Sad Face Speed Signs Set to Remain Banned in North Yorkshire
No Date For Delayed Opening Of Scarborough NHS Diagnostics Centre
Whitby Town Sign Promising Defender Stan Hewitt Following Bridlington Town Departure
New Owner Sought For Scarborough's Alpamare Water Park
No Redundancies Expected As Bridlington Care Unit Staff To Be Redeployed Across Local NHS
North Yorkshire Councillors Urge Mayor To Reconsider Highway Funding Reallocation
Scarborough Athletic Reveal Pre-Season Fixtures As Council Updates On Pitch Repairs
Anglo American Says Woodsmith Project Boosts Regional Economy By Nearly £2 Billion
Scarborough And Whitby MP Welcomes Red Diesel Duty Cut
Two Yorkshire Coast Councillors Appointed As Chair And Vice-Chair Of North Yorkshire Council







Comments
Add a comment