Scarborough's MP has been to Scalby School, to see first hand the challenge being presented by the discovery of RAAC concrete at the School.
17 classrooms are out of action after revised government guidance on the safety of the concrete panels was issued at the end of the summer holiday.
Many students are being bussed to classrooms at Scarborough UTC while others are learning from home using online resources.
Sir Robert Goodwill says the scale of disruption is huge.
Sir Robert says he will be asking the Government to consider some latitude in exam marking for Scalby School Students whose learning has been disrupted by the discovery of the RAAC concrete.
The MP visited the school last week and says it could be January before things get back to normal.
While the year 11 students have been accommodated within the available classrooms at the School the new starters in Year 7 have been using facilities at the UTC, Sir Robert says he will also be asking the government to look at cover the transport costs that have been incurred by the school as a result.
The issues with RAAC have been known for some time and it was known that Scalby School contained panels made from the material but Sir Roberts says an incident in Kent over the summer lead the government to change it's advice to schools about the safety of the material.
In a letter to parents of students in years 8,9 and 10 last week Scalby's Headteacher announced a return to a full timetable for those pupils which is being delivered online.
The letter said:
"I am pleased to write to you outlining the switch to a full timetable of online learning through Google
Classroom or Microsoft Teams that compliments the face to face offer we currently have in place. This
offer will begin on Thursday 21st September. On these platforms, staff will provide detailed written
instructions about how to complete the learning activities. They will also refer to sources of new
content learning where appropriate. At the moment we will not be in a position to deliver live lessons,
due to the restrictions on rooming, access to IT resources and complex timetabling issues. Staff will be
expecting students to complete tasks set and hand them in for checking on the Google and Microsoft
platforms.I appreciate your patience as we have needed time to get this offer ready to ensure all students have
access to all the necessary platforms. This has involved all students accessing an ICT suite with a
member of staff to check passwords. All students have either done this or will have this complete this
week. I am sure you can appreciate this was a task that needed to be in place first and was not easy to
plan or deliver with limited classroom space."
It added:
"Please be assured our primary aim is to get your children back onto the school site as soon as possible
and we continue to work with the DFE and external contractors to be able to offer more face to face in
school learning for those students currently on restricted hours"


Scarborough's Alpamare Waterpark Could Have New Owner by Autumn
Mixed Reactions To Sir Robert Goodwill's Appointment As Yorkshire Bathing Water Partnership Chair
Smiley and Sad Face Speed Signs Set to Remain Banned in North Yorkshire
No Date For Delayed Opening Of Scarborough NHS Diagnostics Centre
Whitby Town Sign Promising Defender Stan Hewitt Following Bridlington Town Departure
New Owner Sought For Scarborough's Alpamare Water Park
No Redundancies Expected As Bridlington Care Unit Staff To Be Redeployed Across Local NHS
North Yorkshire Councillors Urge Mayor To Reconsider Highway Funding Reallocation
Scarborough Athletic Reveal Pre-Season Fixtures As Council Updates On Pitch Repairs
Anglo American Says Woodsmith Project Boosts Regional Economy By Nearly £2 Billion
Scarborough And Whitby MP Welcomes Red Diesel Duty Cut
Two Yorkshire Coast Councillors Appointed As Chair And Vice-Chair Of North Yorkshire Council







Comments
Add a comment