More than 50 motorists have been arrested so far during North Yorkshire's Christmas drink and drug driving campaign - including one man who was arrested twice in the same week.
Police say they are patrolling around the clock across North Yorkshire and are on the lookout for drivers who are under the influence.
Motorists on rural roads as well as residential areas and main roads are being checked as part of the operation, which began on December 1.
Since the start of the month, 55 have been arrested on suspicion of driving while over the limit. Eight happened after collisions.
One man in his 20s from Scarborough has been arrested twice – once on 8 December and again this morning- on suspicion of drug driving. He’s been released under investigation while enquiries including blood tests are completed.
Police warn many more are likely to be arrested before the campaign finishes at the end of the month, and are warning motorists: ‘Don’t make 2020 even worse by drink driving”.
Traffic Sergeant Andy Morton said:
“Anyone who’s convicted of drink driving faces at least a 12-month driving ban, which would mean losing your licence for the whole of 2021, possibly longer.
“They also get large fines, a criminal record and can even go to jail in some circumstances.
“Worse still, they stand a far greater chance of fatally injuring an innocent person. The risk is real, it happens here in North Yorkshire and it’s utterly devastating for the families who are left behind.
“So our message this year is simple – 2020’s been a terrible year. Don’t make it even worse by drink driving.
“There’s a good chance you will be caught, and if you are over the limit you will be prosecuted – there are no second chances.”


Scarborough's Alpamare Waterpark Could Have New Owner by Autumn
Mixed Reactions To Sir Robert Goodwill's Appointment As Yorkshire Bathing Water Partnership Chair
Smiley and Sad Face Speed Signs Set to Remain Banned in North Yorkshire
No Date For Delayed Opening Of Scarborough NHS Diagnostics Centre
Whitby Town Sign Promising Defender Stan Hewitt Following Bridlington Town Departure
New Owner Sought For Scarborough's Alpamare Water Park
No Redundancies Expected As Bridlington Care Unit Staff To Be Redeployed Across Local NHS
North Yorkshire Councillors Urge Mayor To Reconsider Highway Funding Reallocation
Scarborough Athletic Reveal Pre-Season Fixtures As Council Updates On Pitch Repairs
Anglo American Says Woodsmith Project Boosts Regional Economy By Nearly £2 Billion
Scarborough And Whitby MP Welcomes Red Diesel Duty Cut
Two Yorkshire Coast Councillors Appointed As Chair And Vice-Chair Of North Yorkshire Council







Comments
Add a comment