Huw Owen has been sentenced to life in prison, to serve a minimum of 16 years, for the brutal and calculated murder of a vulnerable man in Staithes.
Huw Owen, 42 from Cornucopia Close in Norton has today (Monday 23 March), been jailed for life, to serve a minimum of 16 years and 110 days.
Owen pleaded not guilty on 8 August last year but was later found guilty by a jury at Leeds Crown Court on Friday 20 February 2026. His co-accused, who was also charged with murder, was found not guilty.
On 14 March 2024, Julian's brother contacted police after finding Julian in his living room, laid down on the floor. Julian had two black eyes and had a small cut to the top of his head. Johnathan believed he had been on the floor for a total of 14 hours.
At this point Julian was able to name Owen as the person who assaulted him repeatedly and struck him over the head with a lamp. He was then taken to hospital where he sadly failed to make a recovery and passed away three weeks later on 4 April 2024.
The investigation found that Owen had attacked Julian on the evening of 13 March 2024, left him on the floor and went on the run.
CCTV footage was found showing Owen, on 14 March, hiding from police near the scene, peering out now and again to see what was happening, whilst officers worked at the scene.
After a large scale man-hunt, Huw Owen was located in April 2024 and arrested for murder.
Despite Julian's medical vulnerabilities and pre-existing conditions, there was found to be a direct and substantial link between the head trauma and Julian's death. Medical experts concluded that Julian had been unlawfully killed.
The following are extracts from Victim Personal Statements (VPS) which were read out in Court by the prosecutor on each person's behalf.
From Julian's brother:
"It's been almost 2 years since the death of my brother Julian, and hardly a day goes by when I don’t remember the sight of him laying helplessly on the floor of his house in Staithes. I knew something was wrong as I found his door unlocked but was shocked at what I saw. To see him unable to move and helpless was beyond upsetting."
"I can still hear his voice, and it saddens me to think that I will never be able to see him or speak to him again."
"I am grateful for all the help of the NHS for looking after my brother and the care and commitment of all the police officers that have kept me, and my mother appraised throughout, without whom I am not sure we would have managed."
From Julian's mother:
"I don’t think a day has gone by, since his death, that I have not cried at his loss and the way he was killed."
"I know that Julian was a poorly man but know he would have been alive today."
From Julian's nephew:
"Not having him in our lives this last 2 years has felt like walking in a dark hole. Not being able to climb out of that hole, my heart is and always will be shattered and incomplete. Like that of my extended family."
Police Staff Investigator Paul Thompson, of Scarborough and Ryedale CID said:
"This was a calculated and sustained brutal attack, verging on torture, on a vulnerable man."
"Callously, Julian was left lying on the floor overnight, alone and unable to move."
"Understandably, this incident has had a traumatic effect on both Julian's family and the local community of Staithes. Julian was well known and liked, and his death will leave a lasting impact on the local tight-knit community."
The senior investigating officer for this case, Detective Chief Inspector Tim Bentley said:
"This has been a complex murder investigation - a long and difficult case to investigate due to Julian's poor health prior to the assault, but I hope today's result offers some comfort to Julian's family that justice has been done, and that they can now move forward the best they can."
"The complexity of this case cannot be underestimated and I would like to commend PSI Paul Thompson for his diligence throughout. My thoughts remain with Julian's family."


Scarborough's Alpamare Waterpark Could Have New Owner by Autumn
New Exhibition Explores The Nostalgic History Of Scarborough's Mr. Marvel's Amusement Park
Approval Granted For New 24-Hour Gym And Greggs In Scarborough
RNLI Launches Float To Live Campaign Ahead Of Busy Summer
Yorkshire Coast Cricket Action
RNLI Lifeguards Return to Redcar and Saltburn Beaches for the Summer Season
Yorkshire Water Reservoirs In Healthy Position Ahead Of Warm Bank Holiday Weekend
Mixed Reactions To Sir Robert Goodwill's Appointment As Yorkshire Bathing Water Partnership Chair
Smiley and Sad Face Speed Signs Set to Remain Banned in North Yorkshire
No Date For Delayed Opening Of Scarborough NHS Diagnostics Centre
Whitby Town Sign Promising Defender Stan Hewitt Following Bridlington Town Departure
New Owner Sought For Scarborough's Alpamare Water Park






