A 17-year-old girl was killed when a teenager armed with a sword attacked students at a school in Sweden, reports say.
Three other people were wounded in Friday's deadly assault, including two boys aged 12 and 17 who were seriously injured.
The third person, who was also under 18, was slightly injured and has been discharged from hospital, Swedish news agency TT reported.
An 18-year-old man has been arrested over the incident at Brinell high school in Fagersta.
The attack, which happened just after lunch as classes were taking place, is being investigated by police as murder and attempted murder.
The parents of a 17-year-old girl told local newspaper Fagersta-Posten their daughter was killed in the attack northwest of the capital Stockholm.
And the headteacher told local media P4 Vastmanland that the attacker was a student at the school.
Police said they fired shots but the assailant was not hit.
"Service weapons were used but the perpetrator has not been injured in connection with the arrest, and has not been in need of medical attention," a police spokesperson told the Aftonbladet daily.
While it is unclear what the motive was for the attack, investigators have carried out two house searches in connection with the suspect.
Reuters, citing a police source, reported officers were investigating if he was involved in online communities promoting school violence.
"The investigators are looking into various online communities which might have egged on the suspect to carry out the attack," the source was quoted as saying.
On Saturday morning, about 70 people gathered at a memorial site, carrying flowers and lighting candles, TT reported.
Sweden's Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, who visited the scene along with opposition leader Magdalena Andersson, has expressed solidarity with the affected families and those impacted by previous school attacks in the country.
"What must never happen has happened again," Mr Kristersson said.
"Our thoughts go first and foremost to the families who have been incredibly hard hit by this," he added.
Read more from Sky News:
Canada to match Trump's tariffs 'dollar for dollar'
UK has been burning - and things could get much worse
Political parties suspended campaign events on Saturday, ahead of the country's parliamentary election due in September.
The attack comes a year after a school shooting in Orebro, also in central Sweden, when a gunman killed 10 people before turning the weapon on himself, in the worst mass shooting in Swedish history.
(c) Sky News 2026: '17-year-old girl killed' in sword attack at Swedish school


Gianni Infantino asked to stay away from youth tournament amid anger at FIFA World Cup sell-off plan
Donald Trump's 50% US tariffs on Canada to be matched 'dollar for dollar' after trade talks collapse
Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home
Argentina players banned for World Cup brawl and AFA fined over Falklands banner
Gianni Infantino likes a baldy joke, but fans will see it as bare-faced cheek
Body of Australian hiker recovered - day after officials said she had been found alive
Hong Kong's Tiananmen vigil organisers convicted by court
Police on alert as funeral held for teenagers killed in Ireland wrong-way crash
More than 2,500 dead in DR Congo, UN says, as Ebola spreading to area 'bigger than France'






