On Air Now

This is the Coast

6:00pm - 10:00pm

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Constance Marten granted permission to appeal sentence for killing her baby

Constance Marten has been granted permission to appeal the 14-year jail sentence she received for her baby's death while on the run with her partner.

Marten, 39, and convicted rapist Mark Gordon, 52, were in hiding when their baby daughter, Victoria, died in a tent on the South Downs, southern England, in January 2023.

They had fled authorities to prevent Victoria being taken into care, as four other siblings had been before, their Old Bailey trial was told.

Marten and Gordon were found guilty of her manslaughter, child cruelty, concealing the birth of a child and perverting the course of justice following two trials spanning six months each.

Judge Mark Lucraft KC jailed them both for 14 years, and handed Gordon a further four years on extended licence.

Marten has now been granted permission to appeal the sentence, and renewed her application for permission to appeal her gross negligence manslaughter conviction, though no court date has been set yet.

Police had launched a nationwide hunt after the couple's car burst into flames on a motorway near Bolton, Greater Manchester, on 5 January 2023.

The pair travelled across England and went off-grid, sleeping in a tent on the South Downs where baby Victoria died days later.

After seven weeks on the run, the defendants were arrested in Brighton.

After a desperate search, police found their baby dead amid rubbish inside a Lidl bag in a disused shed nearby.

Read more from Sky News:
TikTok's $400m US children's privacy settlement
Usain Bolt set to play Sunday league football

At the time of their sentencing, Judge Lucraft accepted the prosecution case that baby Victoria died from hypothermia after being exposed to "significant cold stress".

He rejected the claims that Victoria was smothered in a "terrible accident" as they slept in the tent.

The judge said they had displayed "arrogance", and treated Victoria to "neglect of the most serious type". The offending was made worse because the baby was vulnerable, and the defendants failed to listen to past warnings.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Constance Marten granted permission to appeal sentence for killing her baby

Want to See More from This is the Coast?

Click here to set This is the Coast as a preferred source on Google search.

Love living on the Yorkshire Coast? So do we.

This is the Coast is 100% locally owned and operated. We don’t rely on public funding or government grants—we rely on our community.

Producing trusted, fact-checked local news takes time and resources. If you value having a dedicated team of professional journalists fighting for our region, please consider supporting us.

Help keep the Yorkshire Coast informed for the price of a coffee a month.

Support Local Journalism Today

More from National News

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Light rain shower

    High: 18°C | Low: 10°C

  • Filey

    Sunny intervals

    High: 18°C | Low: 11°C

  • Whitby

    Light rain shower

    High: 17°C | Low: 9°C

  • Bridlington

    Sunny intervals

    High: 17°C | Low: 10°C

  • Hornsea

    Light rain shower

    High: 18°C | Low: 9°C

  • Driffield

    Light rain shower

    High: 19°C | Low: 9°C

News