Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child's birthday party in California.
Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.
Officers were called on Saturday to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) and district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.
He said the attacker was still at large.
"We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased," San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office said on X.
The post said early indications suggest it could be a "targeted incident" but that information remains limited.
Police have so far not disclosed the attacker's identity and the motive is unclear.
Stockton's vice mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child's birthday party.
Mayor Christina Fugazzi said that "families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive".
California governor Gavin Newsom's office added that he had been briefed on the "horrific shooting".
(c) Sky News 2025: Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California


Genetics testing start-up offers to 'genetically optimise' would-be parents' babies
'A butcher who destroyed my life': Surgeon may never return to UK to face justice over 'botched' operations
Ukrainian officials head to US for peace talks - while dramatic footage shows Russian oil tankers being hit
Reeves fighting claims she 'lied' about deficit - as Starmer set to back her budget
Budget 2025: Hospitality pleads for 'lifeline' as Rachel Reeves accused of imposing 'stealth tax'
Bigger than COVID? The graph that explains why AI is going to be so huge






