On Air Now

This is the Coast

Midnight - 6:00am

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Met Police urges potential sex assault victims on Married At First Sight UK to contact the force

The Metropolitan Police has urged potential victims of sexual assault on reality TV show Married At First Sight UK to get in touch.

It comes after two women alleged they had been raped and another made claims of sexual misconduct.

A spokesperson for the Met Police said: "We are aware of media reporting relating to allegations of rape and sexual assault following the airing of a television programme on Monday, 18 May.

"At this time, we have not received any criminal reports in relation to this matter. We will be making approaches to the relevant production teams to ensure that anyone they have spoken to is aware of how to report any criminal allegations to police.

"We continue to encourage anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, to get in touch with us."

The BBC had reported allegations from two women alleging they had been raped during filming of the Channel 4 show. A third described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.

All three said the show, made by production company CPL, did not do enough to protect them.

Earlier on Tuesday, the government said there must be "consequences for criminality or wrongdoing" following the MAFS allegations.

Shona Manderson, the third of the three women making allegations about their experiences on the show and the only one who is named, said she "completely lost her light" while appearing in the series.

In claims made to BBC Panorama, she said she deserved better welfare from CPL.

She alleged her on-screen partner, Bradley Skelly, took things too far during sex. In a statement to the programme, Skelly said he categorically denied "any allegations of sexual misconduct, or that he was controlling".

Channel 4 has removed all previous seasons of the show from its streaming platforms.

In a statement released on Monday, Channel 4 said: "In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied.

"The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.

"Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

"Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary."

Dr Charlotte Proudman, a barrister representing one of the women, named Lizzie, not her real name to protect her identity, said she was aware of other contestants from TV shows having experienced abuse.

She told Sky News' The UK Tonight with Sarah-Jane Mee: "I am certainly aware of other contestants on what I might describe as reality TV dating shows having experienced forms of hideous abuse behind closed doors, and effectively that being allowed to continue without action being taken to protect them.

"So I suspect that we will see many more women come forward, and I am obviously deeply concerned about the fact that Channel 4 continued to air Married at First Sight until yesterday after the BBC Panorama documentary."

It is understood that no decision has been made on future series of MAFS.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Met Police urges potential sex assault victims on Married At First Sight UK to contact the force

Want to See More from This is the Coast?

Click here to set This is the Coast as a preferred source on Google search.

Love living on the Yorkshire Coast? So do we.

This is the Coast is 100% locally owned and operated. We don’t rely on public funding or government grants—we rely on our community.

Producing trusted, fact-checked local news takes time and resources. If you value having a dedicated team of professional journalists fighting for our region, please consider supporting us.

Help keep the Yorkshire Coast informed for the price of a coffee a month.

Support Local Journalism Today

More from Top Stories

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Light rain shower

    High: 19°C | Low: 11°C

  • Filey

    Light rain shower

    High: 18°C | Low: 11°C

  • Whitby

    Light rain shower

    High: 18°C | Low: 11°C

  • Bridlington

    Light rain shower

    High: 18°C | Low: 11°C

  • Hornsea

    Light rain shower

    High: 18°C | Low: 11°C

  • Driffield

    Light rain shower

    High: 19°C | Low: 11°C

News