On Air Now

Richard Simister

8:00am - Noon

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Michael Buble

Haven't Met You Yet

Download

Death toll in Hong Kong apartment complex fire rises as more bodies found in burned buildings

The death toll from a fire that tore through a Hong Kong apartment complex has risen.

Investigators are searching for bodies in the residential towers of Wang Fuk Court, where the blaze erupted on Wednesday.

Authorities say 146 bodies have now been found, rising from a previous reported total of 128.

Shuk-yin Tsang, the head of the Hong Kong police casualty unit, said another 100 people remained unaccounted for.

Flames spread through seven of the eight towers of the complex, and the fire was not fully extinguished until Friday morning.

Police said they had completed searches through four of the affected buildings.

But a city official said they expected the search process to take three to four weeks.

Cheng Ka-chun, the police officer leading the search, said bodies had been found both in apartments and on the roofs.

He said: "It is so dark inside, and because of the low light, it is very difficult to do the work, especially in places away from the windows."

Before the fire broke out, the towers had been undergoing renovations and were clad in bamboo scaffolding, draped with nylon netting, with windows covered by polystyrene panels.

Residents say they repeatedly warned about the flammability of the materials, but were told by the authorities that they faced "relatively low fire risks".

Now the authorities are investigating whether fire codes were violated amid growing public anger over the blaze.

Beijing has warned it will use a national security law to crack down on any "anti-China" protests that result.

Over 1,000 people turned out on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of the fire; Hong Kong's deadliest in more than 75 years.

Mourners queued for more than a kilometre to lay flowers, some with sticky notes attached addressed to the victims.

Joey Yeung, whose grandmother's apartment burned in the fire, asked for justice.

The 28-year-old said: "I can't accept it. So today I came with my father and my family to lay flowers.

"I'm not asking to get anything back but at least give some justice to the families of the deceased - to those who are still alive."

Another mourner, Lian Shuzheng, said: "This really serves as a wake-up call for everyone, especially with these super high-rise buildings."

City officials last night announced they were suspending 28 building projects undertaken by the contractor that was renovating Wang Fuk Court, the Prestige Construction & Engineering Company.

They said the fire had "exposed serious deficiencies" in the safety of the company's sites, "including the extensive use of foam boards to block up windows during building repairs".

The day after the fire broke out, two directors and an engineering consultant from a construction firm were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

Police said they also suspected the company's leaders of gross negligence, without identifying the firm by name.

The three men were released on bail, but then rearrested by Hong Kong’s anti-corruption authorities, who made a further eight arrests.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2025: Death toll in Hong Kong apartment complex fire rises as more bodies found in burned buildings

Did you find this article useful?

This is the Coast is committed to providing a daily local news service for the Yorkshire Coast. We are a small locally owned and operated business which employs professional journalists and reporters. We do not receive any public funding or grants and we are entirely funded by our local commercial operations. We enjoy fabulous support from local businesses who work with us on their advertising and marketing campaigns, but the cost of providing high quality, well researched, fact checked local news coverage is significant.

If you appreciate what This is the Coast does, and would like to help support our journalism, please consider supporting us on a monthly basis today.

A small contribution from all our readers would really help support independent journalism for the Yorkshire Coast.

More from Top Stories

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Sunny intervals

    High: 7°C | Low: 3°C

  • Filey

    Sunny intervals

    High: 7°C | Low: 4°C

  • Whitby

    Sunny intervals

    High: 6°C | Low: 3°C

  • Bridlington

    Sunny intervals

    High: 7°C | Low: 4°C

  • Hornsea

    Sunny intervals

    High: 7°C | Low: 4°C

  • Driffield

    Sunny intervals

    High: 7°C | Low: 3°C

News