On Air Now

This is the Coast

Midnight - 8:00am

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Rod Stewart

The Killing Of Georgie (Part I And Ii)

Download

Government to consider new law to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from royal line of succession

The government is to consider introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal line of succession, Sky News understands.

The former duke was arrested and interviewed under caution on Thursday over allegations of misconduct in public office.

Any such move by the government would only happen once the ongoing police investigation into the former duke has concluded.

For Buckingham Palace, removing Andrew was "purely a matter for parliament" and it "would never get in the way of that or oppose the will of parliament", a source told The Times.

Calls have been growing in recent days for the King's brother to be removed from the line of succession.

But any such changes will require consultation and agreement with the other realms of the Commonwealth.

Andrew is eighth in line to the throne, behind Prince William and his three children, and Prince Harry and his two children.

A YouGov poll showed that 82% of the British public would support removing him from the line of succession.

Only 6% disagreed and 12% said they did not know.

Andrew had his royal titles removed by the King last year as part of the fallout from his association with Jeffrey Epstein.

He denies any wrongdoing.

The Metropolitan Police is now speaking to the former duke's protection officers in connection with the latest release of the Epstein files.

The force said in a statement that officers were "aware of the suggestion that London airports may have been used to facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation."

Read more from Sky News:
How Iran might be preparing for potential US strike
Teen couple found dead at holiday park

A spokesperson added that detectives were "contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely, in a protection capacity, with Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor."

Earlier on Friday, officers were seen conducting a second day of searches at his former home in Berkshire.

His sister, Anne, the Princess Royal, ignored questions on the case during a visit to a factory in Sheffield.

A reporter shouted: "Afternoon, your royal highness, how do you feel about your brother's arrest?"

The Princess did not respond.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Government to consider new law to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from royal line of succe

Want to See More from This is the Coast?

Click here to set This is the Coast as a preferred source on Google search.

Love living on the Yorkshire Coast? So do we.

This is the Coast is 100% locally owned and operated. We don’t rely on public funding or government grants—we rely on our community.

Producing trusted, fact-checked local news takes time and resources. If you value having a dedicated team of professional journalists fighting for our region, please consider supporting us.

Help keep the Yorkshire Coast informed for the price of a coffee a month.

Support Local Journalism Today

More from Top Stories

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Heavy Rain

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Filey

    Heavy Rain

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Whitby

    Heavy Rain

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Bridlington

    Heavy Rain

    High: 10°C | Low: 6°C

  • Hornsea

    Heavy Rain

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Driffield

    Heavy Rain

    High: 11°C | Low: 7°C

News