Councillors have backed calls for a 20mph reduced speed limit on Whitby’s ‘dangerous’ New Bridge.
A petition signed by more than 500 locals calling for the speed limit on New Bridge to be lowered from 40mph to 30mph has received the unanimous backing of councillors, who said a reduction to 20mph should be considered.
Members of the Scarborough and Whitby Area Committee said an “emergency” traffic order should be introduced due to concerns over the safety of students and families who walk across the bridge to reach Whitby School.
Speaking at the committee meeting on Friday, Coun Neil Swannick, who represents Whitby Streonshalh division, said:
“I totally support this petition and I think it’s absolutely right.”
The petition was started by Elizabeth Mulheran, a member of Whitby Town Council and the issue was raised in Parliament earlier this year by the MP for Scarborough and Whitby, Alison Hume.
Ms Mulherran welcomed councillors’ suggestion of a 20mph speed limit, which would need approval from North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for transportation.
“There are currently no safety measures in place such as verges or raised curbs, and there’s lots of heavy traffic on the bridge, including HGVs, potentially travelling at 40mph,” the petition’s author told the committee.
“Many local pedestrians have to use the bridge to access schools and jobs in spite of not feeling particularly safe, while some local residents choose to use their cars. This 40mph speed limit discourages people from active travel.”
North Yorkshire Council previously said it would review the bridge speed limit as part of a county-wide road assessment, once traffic lights at the nearby Spital Bridge junction were working.
NYC’s highways and transportation officer said in a report:
“The signals are expected to be functioning by early December, which means the speed survey could take place in the New Year. The subsequent speed limit assessment is likely to follow shortly thereafter.”
However, councillors said that action was needed sooner and a temporary traffic regulation order (TRO) should be introduced.
Committee chair, Coun Liz Colling, said that necessary consultations could be carried out “while the TRO is in place for 18 months”.
Commenting on the petition, Coun David Chance said:
“The petition is actually contradictory to council policy, which states that there should be 20mph speed limits outside schools, which is what I’d be advocating for on that stretch of road.
“It is a very dangerous road with children there in the morning and afternoon, and there’s no verge at all.
“I understand what the area manager has said about assessing it, but actually a temporary emergency limit can be done for 18 months with an assessment, and that’s what I’d suggest we look at as a committee, leading to a full assessment at a later date.”
The committee resolved to write to North Yorkshire Council requesting a speed limit change of 20mph.


Dom's Late Finish Is Top Tear As Boro Battle Back
Scarborough and Whitby MP Hails Budget Boost for Households and Businesses
Festive Event Near Pickering To Focus On 'Mental Elf'
Review For Scarborough Pride Parking Charges
Yorkshire Coast Rugby Round-Up
Whitby Town Trip Postponed
Pickering Town Torment Continues
Bridlington Town Battle Washed Out
Scarborough Sparkle Returns This Weekend
New Partnership Sees Foodbank Donation Stations at East Riding Council Buildings
Bus Franchising Pilot Coming to North Yorkshire Coast
Scarborough's Rainbow Centre Finds Hidden Room







Comments
Add a comment