At least 90 people have been killed following a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, state media reports.
The blast happened late on Friday night local time, according to the Xinhua news agency, and it is believed around 247 workers were underground at the time.
Nine people were said to be trapped below the surface on Saturday afternoon.
Reports suggest that carbon monoxide levels had exceeded safe limits at the Liushenyu coal mine near Changzhi City.
Intensive rescue efforts are under way, Xinhua said, while the cause of the explosion is under investigation.
Among the injured, many were hurt by toxic gas, according to state media CCTV.
The mine entrance features a steep slope of around 30 degrees, and all rescue supplies can only be transported in and out by mine cars.
Chinese President Xi Jinping called for authorities to "spare no effort" in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations.
He has also ordered a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law.
Read more from Sky News:
SpaceX launches high-stakes test flight
Red Arrows to fly in reduced numbers
Earlier, Xinhua had reported that eight people had died, with more than 200 people safely brought to the surface.
It did not explain the jump in the death toll.
Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.
The Liushenyu coal mine is located in Shanxi, known as China's main coal mining province.
The province's hundreds of thousands of miners dug 1.17 billion metric tons of coal last year - almost a third of China's total.
(c) Sky News 2026: China: 90 killed and nine trapped following gas explosion at coal mine


UK faces 'economic catastrophe' unless it adapts to young people 'rewired by smartphones'
SpaceX launches high-stakes test flight as record-breaking stock market debut looms
Red Arrows to fly with just seven aircraft for most displays because engines are so old
Kylie Minogue surprises fan with 'magical' singalong
Tycoon Desmond plots Health Lottery sale | Mark Kleinman blog
Hezbollah MP reveals three things needed for lasting ceasefire with Israel
Kilmar Abrego Garcia: Judge dismisses criminal case against man wrongfully deported by Trump administration
Revealed: 117 waste sites 'of concern' identified across England - is there a mega dump near you?






