On Air Now

This is the Coast

6:00pm - 10:00pm

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Guns N Roses

Sweet Child O' Mine

Download

Philippines: At least one dead and more than 20 trapped after unfinished building collapses in the Philippines

At least one person has died after an unfinished building collapsed in the Philippines, authorities in the country have said.

Rescuers have been searching through the rubble of the nine-floor construction for another 21 people who are missing after Sunday's disaster.

A 65-year-old Malaysian national, whose body had been recovered from a neighbouring hotel affected by the collapse, was the first person confirmed dead.

Maria Leah Sajili, from the regional Bureau of Fire Protection, ⁠told reporters that, of the 21 ​people reported missing, five people were confirmed ​trapped.

Two of the five were in contact with rescuers, but ​the status of the others was not immediately clear.

Rescue efforts, using trained rescue dogs, ‌heartbeat detection devices and heavy equipment to sift through the debris, have continued, but operations will become more challenging after dark, Ms Sajili said.

Officials said ​an investigation had been launched into what caused the collapse in the city of Angeles, north of ​the capital, Manila on Luzon, the nation's largest and most populous island.

Rescuers have had to climb over a mound of concrete slabs and mangled steel, covered in green ‌netting, in their search for survivors.

A total of 24 people have been pulled out of the site, a figure that includes others who were nearby.

Those rescued included a 51-year-old Malaysian national who was staying in a nearby budget hotel.

It was damaged when the concrete structure came down, Jay Pelayo, the Angeles city information officer, was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Mr Pelayo had earlier told DZBB radio that he believed 30 to 40 people were feared trapped, after he talked to a site foreman who escaped.

Read more:
Iran war latest - Strait of Hormuz update
Four killed in airstrikes on Kyiv
Dozens die in suicide bomb blast

According to records, a 10th floor was being built to put a pool on top of the approved condo-hotel.

Ambulances were on standby, and fire engines had been sent to help in the rescue effort, Mr Pelayo said, adding that moving the concrete debris was hampering rescuers.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Philippines: At least one dead and more than 20 trapped after unfinished building collapses in the Philip

Want to See More from This is the Coast?

Click here to set This is the Coast as a preferred source on Google search.

Love living on the Yorkshire Coast? So do we.

This is the Coast is 100% locally owned and operated. We don’t rely on public funding or government grants—we rely on our community.

Producing trusted, fact-checked local news takes time and resources. If you value having a dedicated team of professional journalists fighting for our region, please consider supporting us.

Help keep the Yorkshire Coast informed for the price of a coffee a month.

Support Local Journalism Today

More from Top Stories

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Sunny intervals

    High: 24°C | Low: 12°C

  • Filey

    Sunny

    High: 23°C | Low: 13°C

  • Whitby

    Sunny intervals

    High: 23°C | Low: 12°C

  • Bridlington

    Sunny

    High: 18°C | Low: 11°C

  • Hornsea

    Sunny

    High: 23°C | Low: 9°C

  • Driffield

    Sunny

    High: 26°C | Low: 9°C

News